Focusing on Your Family
It’s never too early to focus on your children’s eye health and vision. Their sense of sight is important at every age and every stage of development.
Not to worry if your child is nervous about their eye exam. Dr. Neufeld is experienced with children and can put them at ease. Many kids even think their eye exams are fun! And, if your child does need glasses, we offer a wide selection of colours and styles that will make them smile.
Book their appointment today to set them up for success—and a lifetime of healthy vision.
When Do Children Need Eye Exams?
The Canadian Association of Optometrists recommends that children have exams at the following intervals:
- A comprehensive exam to establish a baseline between the ages of 6 and 9 months
- Another comprehensive exam as they grow and develop between the ages of 2 and 5
- Annual, comprehensive exams from age 6 and continuing until adulthood
Proper vision is essential for children’s success—in life and in academics. Beyond just seeing what’s in front of them at school, visual skills are needed for social, cognitive, and motor skill development.
If your child has reading or learning difficulties, a more comprehensive visual evaluation will be needed. It is estimated that one in four children have a visually related learning difficulty. Many of these visual difficulties that contribute to learning difficulties can be treated by vision therapy. Contact Dr. Neufeld’s Calgary Vision Therapy office to book this specialized vision evaluation.
Book their eye exam today!
Valuable Visual Skills
Children aren’t born with the visual skills they need—they develop them over time.
Good visual skills can help set your child up for success. Whether it’s reading, interacting with other kids, throwing a ball around outside, or seeing what the teacher writes on the board, eyesight is involved.
Children who start school with undiagnosed vision problems may struggle to keep up in class. They may be misdiagnosed with ADHD or another behavioural disorder.
- Learning at a slower rate than their peers
- Behavioural and disciplinary problems
- Higher risk of dropping out of school
Stages of Sight
There are many milestones in a baby’s visual progression. Here’s what to expect at some important stages:
- Birth to 1 Month: Your baby should be staring at bright lights or faces, albeit for a short period.
- 1 to 3 Months: They’ll begin to look toward sounds and follow objects horizontally.
- 3 to 5 Months: Babies begin to reach for objects and see differences between colours.
- 5 to 7 Months: Hand-eye coordination will begin to develop, and your baby should start looking at distant objects.
- 7 to 12 Months: Depth perception, focusing, and other visual skills should be developed, and your baby might begin to copy facial expressions they see.
As children get older, you can help encourage their healthy visual development by playing look-and-find games like Where’s Waldo, doing word searches and maze games together, and limiting their screen time.
To help your child develop healthy visual skills, be sure to bring them in for comprehensive eye exams.
How Do I Know If My Child Needs Glasses?
If they are experiencing a vision issue, children are often unable to articulate the problem—they might not even know there is a problem. Unlike adults, children have not established a baseline of what proper vision looks like for them.
Kids can experience signs or symptoms that may not seem visual—like tiredness, poor concentration, or difficulty keeping their place while reading. They may develop vision problems standard glasses can’t correct alone, like strabismus (eye-turn) or amblyopia (lazy eye), which can affect how their vision develops.
Bringing your child for regular eye exams lets us establish that baseline so we take the time to evaluate their symptoms. By detecting vision problems early on, we can give them appropriate support—whether they need glasses or other personalized care. Book their appointment today!
Visit Our Location
Find us in Auburn Bay Station, near the Auburn Bay Co-op and next to The Brow Studio. We serve patients across SE Calgary, including Seton, Mahogany, Cranston, Copperfield, McKenzie Lake, McKenzie Towne, and New Brighton. We direct bill 3rd party insurance companies for your eye exam, prescription eyeglasses, and contact lenses for your convenience.
- #346, 100 Auburn Meadows Dr. SE
- Calgary, AB T3M 2G5
Hours of Operation
- Monday: Closed
- Tuesday: 12:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
*We are closed the 1st and 5th Saturday of each month.
**We are closed for all statutory holidays.